Our Programs combine activities that are both child-initiated and adult-led and take place indoors and outdoors, to offer a range of experiences from which children can learn first-hand.
Parents have regular meetings with their child’s teacher to discuss their development and look through the activities they have worked on. Each child has a progress folder where observations and photographs of their development are recorded and celebrated.
The curriculum aims to meet each child’s need in the following:
COMMUNICATION AND LANGUAGE
- Involves giving children opportunities to experience a rich language environment to develop their confidence and skills in expressing themselves; and to speak and listen in a range of situations.
- Involves providing opportunities for young children to be active and interactive and to develop their co-ordination, control and movement.
- Children must be helped to understand the importance of physical activity and to make healthy choices in relation to food.
PERSONAL, SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Development in this area helps children to develop a positive sense of themselves and others; to form positive relationship and develop respect for others; to develop social skills and learn how to manage their feelings; to understand appropriate behaviour in groups and to have confidence in their own abilities.
- Literacy development involves encouraging children to link sounds and letters and to begin to read and write.
- Children must be given access to a wide range of reading materials (books, poems and other written materials) to ignite their interest
- This area of learning involves providing children with opportunities to develop and improve their skills in counting, understanding and using numbers, calculating simple addition and subtraction problems and to describe shapes and measures
UNDERSTANDING THE WORLD
- This involves guiding children to make sense of their physical world and their community through opportunities to explore, observe and find out about people, places, technology and the environment.
EXPRESSIVE ARTS AND DESIGN
- Expressive arts and design involves enabling children to explore and play with a wide range of media and materials as well as providing opportunities and encouragement for sharing their thoughts, ideas and feelings through a variety of activities in arts, music, movement, dance, role-play, design and technology